Diezani Alison-Madueke To Forfeit $153.3 Million To Nigeria

Posted on January 6, 2017
MICHAEL AKINOLA

 

Diezani-Allison-Madueke-talk

Nigerian former Petroleum minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, has been ordered to temporarily forfeit a sum of $153.3 million to the Nigerian government.

Justice Muslim Hassan of the Federal High Court, Lagos gave the order on Friday in favour of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC which appeared before him with an ex parte application seeking the temporary forfeiture of the funds.

The seized money, according to the EFCC, was stolen from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation and stashed in three banks in Nigeria, in United States dollars and Naira.

Out of the loot, N23.4 billion was kept in Sterling Bank Plc, the sum of N9.08 billion was kept in First Bank Plc and $5 million in Access Bank Plc.

Justice Hassan gave Sterling Bank and any other interested party 14 days to appear before him to prove the legitimacy of the monies, failing which the funds would be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

In a nine-paragraph affidavit by by EFCC investigator, Moses Awolusi, and filed in support of the ex parte application, the anti-graft agency discovered how sometime in December 2014 the former minister invited a former Managing Director of Fidelity Bank Plc, Nnamdi Okonkwo, to her office.

There they allegedly hatched the plan on how $153,310,000 would be moved from Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC to Okonkwo for Alison-Madueke.

Alison-Madueke, according to Awolusi, instructed Okonkwo to ensure that the money was “neither credited into any known account nor captured in any transaction platforms” of Fidelity Bank.

Okonkwo accepted and implemented the deal leading to the movement of $153,310,000 from NNPC to Fidelity Bank.

He said that two former Group Executive Directors of Finance and Account of NNPC, B.O.N. Otti and Stanley Lawson, helped Alison-Madueke to move the cash from NNPC, Abuja, to the headquarters of Fidelity Bank in Lagos.

Awolusi said in a desperate bid to conceal the source of the money, Okonkwo, upon receiving it, instructed the Country Head of Fidelity Bank, Martin Izuogbe, to take $113,310,000 cash out of the money to the Executive Director, Commercial and Institutional Bank, Sterling Bank Plc, Lanre Adesanya, to keep.

He said the remaining $40 million was taken in cash to the Executive Director, Public Sector Accountant, First Bank, Dauda Lawal, to keep.

The investigator said out of the $113,310,000 handed over to Adesanya, $108,310,000 was invested in an off balance sheet investment using Sterling Asset Management Trustees Limited.

The money was was subsequently converted into N23.4 billion and saved in Sterling Bank.

Awolusi said the EFCC had recovered the N23.4 billion in draft and had registered it as an exhibit marked, EFCC 01.

The investigator said the EFCC had also recovered another $5 million out of the money kept with the Managing Director of Access Bank Plc, Herbert Wigwe.

He said the $5 million was recovered in draft and had been registered as an exhibit marked, EFCC 02.

According to him, Lawal, First Bank’s Executive Director had similarly converted the $40 million kept with him to N9,080,000,000.

Awolusi, however, said the EFCC had recovered that also in draft and registered it as Exhibit EFCC 03.

Moving the ex parte application today, the EFCC lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, urged Justice Hassan to order the temporary forfeiture of the funds to the Federal Government and to order Sterling Bank and Lawal, who were joined as defendants in the application, as well as any other interested parties, to appear in court within two weeks to show cause why the funds should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.

Oyedepo, who said the application was brought pursuant to Section 17 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act No. 14, 2006 and Section 44(2)(‘) of the 1999 Constitution, said granting the application was in the best interest of justice.

Justice Hassan granted the order and adjourned till 24 January for the respondents to appear in court to show cause why the funds should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Acting President Prof. Yemi Osinbajo has paid a surprise visit to the Murtala Muhammed... Continue
Fast rising Afro pop singer Pyung has officially dropped his new single, Zaddy. At... Continue
  Korede Bello, Mavin Records artiste, has featured American singer Kelly Rowland on the... Continue
AISHA ABUBAKAR It was an emotional moment in the council chambers of the Presidential... Continue
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE A top minister with The Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Ikosi... Continue
FUNSHO AROGUNDADE Great music never dies. It lives on after the last notes have... Continue
No fewer than 20 women were on Wednesday left stranded at the Haven Event... Continue
  The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says it has recovered 17 “exotic... Continue
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE Chief Gani Adams faction of Odua People’s Congress, OPC has joined the... Continue
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE A hawker, Solomon Dike, has landed in prison after his brother, Anselem... Continue

NTEL ADVERT

Follow Us @pmexpressng