Sponsored
Crime

Man, 43, Allegedly Steals ₦33.3m Worth Of Cables & Transformer Parts On Lagos-Badagry Expressway

Sponsored
Sponsored
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE
A 43-year-old man, Adesokan Babatunde, was arraigned before an Ojo Magistrate Court over allegations of conspiracy and theft of electricity equipment worth ₦33,360,000 along the Lagos-Badagry Expressway.
According to the charge sheet made available to P.M.EXPRESS, the defendant was arraigned alongside others said to be at large for offences said to have occurred at Odo-Eran area of the expressway.
The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, was the complainant in the matter filed at the Ojo Magisterial District.
The prosecution alleged that the defendant and others, between last year and early this year at about evening hours at Odo-Eran, Lagos-Badagry Express Road, conspired to commit felony to wit stealing.
The offence, according to the charge, is contrary to and punishable under Section 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2015.
In the second count, the charge sheet further alleged that on the same date, time and place, the defendant and others now at large allegedly stole several items belonging to a private individual.
The items listed in the charge sheet included transformer laminations of different KVA ratings, cable glands, kilos of copper wire, and drums of transformer oil.
The total value of the alleged stolen items was put at the said amount according to the document presented before the court.
The prosecution said the alleged act contravened Section 287 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2015.
When the charges were read to him in court, the defendant pleaded ‘Not Guilty’ to all the counts.
The prosecutor in the matter was SP Uche Simeon, while the Investigating Police Officer was from Onireke Police Station. The Presiding Magistrate, Mr. L.K.J Layeni, granted the defendant bail with two sureties.
The court ordered that the matter be adjourned for mention to enable the Police to conclude investigations and possibly produce other suspects mentioned as being at large.
However, he was remanded in custody at a Correctional Center at Badagry pending when he will perfect his bail conditions.
The alleged theft of transformer parts and cables has been a major concern for residents and businesses along the Lagos-Badagry Expressway, where power outages have been linked to vandalism of electricity infrastructure. P.M.EXPRESS gathered that investigations are ongoing regarding the case and will continue to monitor developments as the case proceeds at the Ojo Magistrate Court.
Legal experts say the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by a Court of competent jurisdiction.
Sponsored
Alinnor Arinze

Recent Posts

EFCC Arraigns FCMB Staff, Accomplice Over Alleged $25,000 Credential Deal

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Wednesday arraigned two men before the Federal…

33 minutes ago

Zamfara Hosts Police Security Summit As Gov. Lawal Vows ‘No Negotiation With Bandits’

Governor Dauda Lawal has emphasised that bandits who refuse peace and threaten innocent people must…

52 minutes ago

Access Bank Approaches Court Over Alleged N1.34bn Lost To Fraud

Access Bank Plc has approached the Federal High Court in Lagos to recover an alleged…

3 hours ago

Guinness Nigeria Partners With LASDRI To Strengthen Road Safety And Promote Responsible Driving In Lagos

Guinness Nigeria Plc has reaffirmed its commitment to promoting responsible drinking and safer roads through…

3 hours ago

President Tinubu Tasks Homeland Security Adviser To Lead Five-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Submits Plan Within 90 Days

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment…

3 hours ago

Oyo State Govt Targets Stronger Evidence-based HIV Prevention As It Flags-Off 2026 IBBSS Training

The Oyo State Government has reiterated its commitment to strengthening evidence-based HIV prevention strategies through…

3 hours ago
Sponsored