NDC Disowns Viral Candidate Lists, Warns Members Against Fake Documents

Posted on June 20, 2026
PROSPER OKOYE 
The Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, has publicly disowned purported lists of candidates for Imo, Abia, Anambra and other states currently circulating on social media. The party described the documents as fake, unauthorised, and not issued by its national headquarters.
In a statement issued on Thursday and signed by the party’s National Secretary, Barrister Ikenna Alex-Morgan Enekweizu, the NDC urged members, aspirants and the general public to disregard the lists. He said only documents released through official party channels should be regarded as authentic.
According to the statement, the NDC had already submitted its authentic list of candidates for the forthcoming elections to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC. The submission, it said, was made through the channels and timelines prescribed by the Electoral Act, 2022.
The party alleged that the circulation of the fake lists was a deliberate attempt by certain individuals to create confusion and undermine its internal processes. It said the timing of the leak suggested an intention to distract the party ahead of critical election activities.
The NDC disclosed that it had launched internal investigations to determine the source of the purported lists. The party said it was working to identify individuals or groups behind the circulation and the circumstances that led to the leak.
“The said lists are fake and did not emanate from the party headquarters,” the statement read. “They are being peddled by mischief makers and those who do not wish the party well. The party is investigating the sources of such fabrications and leakages.”
The NDC described the circulation of the lists as desperate attempts to cause ill will, sow discord, and create distractions within its ranks. It said such actions were contrary to the party’s values of transparency and internal democracy.
Despite the development, the party reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening its structures and maintaining unity among members. It said it would not allow attempts at distraction to derail its objectives for the forthcoming elections.
The NDC urged all members and aspirants to remain focused and united. It advised them to verify any information relating to candidates, nominations, or party decisions only through the national secretariat or official party communication platforms.
The party said it remained committed to building a political platform capable of addressing Nigeria’s socio-economic challenges. It added that its priority was to present credible candidates who would serve the interests of the people.
The circulation of fake candidate lists is not new in Nigeria’s electoral history. During previous election cycles, several political parties have issued similar warnings after forged documents appeared online, often aimed at misleading voters or creating crisis within parties.
The NDC said it would provide updates once investigations are concluded.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

FUNSHO AROGUNDADE The United States Consulate General in Lagos recently convened more than 120... Continue
Qatar Airways, the operator of the world’s first and largest Starlink-equipped widebody fleet, has... Continue
In continuation of the Federal Government’s drive to strengthen Nigeria’s transmission network, the Minister... Continue
Three Crowns Milk, one of Nigeria’s most trusted dairy brands from FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has opposed the bail applications... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA The President of Global Peace Movement International, Dr Mike Uyi, has commended... Continue
Former Vice President and presidential candidate Alhaji Atiku Abubakar has outlined a key part... Continue
The President General of the Orashi National Congress, ONC, Ambassador Emeni Ibe, JP, AP,... Continue
BY ENI KALU There is an old lesson in politics which the people of... Continue
KINGSLEY EBERE All is set for the Ohanaeze Ndigbo General Assembly meeting in Ojo... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored