How Pastor & Wife Staged Kidnapping For N10m Ransom From Relatives
Posted on August 29, 2025
MICHAEL AKINOLA

A 62-year old Pastor, Sanmori Olubumi Joshua and his wife, Mrs. Sanmori Taiwo, 42, have landed in trouble for allegedly arranging fake kidnapping in order to exort N10m from relatives abroad and it backfired in Ondo State.
P.M.EXPRESS reports that the couple has been arrested by the Police detectives from by the Ondo State Command for allegedly staging a fake kidnapping.
The incident happened on 23rd August, 2025, between 4:00 pm and 5:00pm at Road 5, Power Line, Ondo town.
Pastor Joshua, who resides in the aforementioned address, acted as the kidnapper while his wife, Taiwo, was said to have played the role of the abducted victim before it backfired.
Police source said that between the hours of 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm, Mrs. Taiwo deliberately isolated herself in a separate room in their residence and conspired with her husband to stage her own abduction.
“The husband subsequently placed calls to relatives using her mobile phone number, falsely claiming that she had been kidnapped by unknown gunmen who were demanding ₦10m as ransom.”
“Suspicious of the claims, one of the relatives, Mr. Fasegha O. Joseph, through a written petition, reported the matter to the Commissioner of Police, Adebowale Lawal, who directed the Command’s Special Anti-Kidnapping Squad (SAKS) to unravel the crime.”
“Acting swiftly on the report, an investigation team from the Command’s anti-kidnapping squad supported by Enu-owa Division in Ondo city, proceeded to their residence in Ondo town, where Mrs. Taiwo was found.”
”She falsely claimed to have just been released by kidnappers after a ransom of Five Million Naira was allegedly paid.
Speaking on the fake abduction, the State Police image maker, Ayanlade Olayinka, said that the pastor’s wife had confessed that the abduction was staged as a self-kidnapping scheme, masterminded to extort money from her relatives abroad under the pretense of securing her release.
Ayanlade said during interrogation, the suspect further admitted that her motive was to settle debts and provide for her personal needs.
He added that, ”Both she and her husband are currently under investigation, and appropriate legal action will follow”.
The Police spokesperson warned that the Command would not tolerate any form of criminality, whether genuine or staged.
“This case shows that the Police will unravel any plot meant to disturb public peace. We urge members of the public to continue to give credible information, which will always be treated with confidentiality.”
Ayanlade also commended residents for their cooperation and restated the Command’s commitment to protecting lives and property across the state.
Categorised as : Crime
No Comments »