How Soldiers Killed Ladipo Market Trader, Injured Many Over N3,500 Kick Starter

Posted on July 15, 2021

MICHAEL AKINOLA

Popular auto spare parts market, Ladipo Market, in Lagos State has been shut indefinitely after soldiers invaded the market, shot and killed a trader while many injured many over a N3,500 worth kick starter.

P.M.EXPRESS reports that the incident happened at Aguiyi Ironsi International axis of the Ladipo Market, where the trader, Felix Onu from Ohazara in Ebony State, was shot and he died on the spot while several other traders got injured and are in various hospitals, where doctors are battling to save their lives after the soldiers shot sporadically in the market.

The cause of the mayhem, which has kept many families in sorrow, was a soldier, whose identity is known. He was said to have bought a kick starter worth the amount in December 2020 and returned it to the seller on Tuesday and asked to refunded his money. He was taken to the Union inside the market in order to resolve the business transaction.

In the process, he became angry claiming that the traders were wasting his time. Hence, he contacted his colleagues at Air Force Base, who armed themselves and invaded the market. They shot sporadically and in the process killed the late Onu while injuring many traders before they managed to escape.

This was disclosed by the President of the market, Chief Jude Nwankwo, who said that the traders were devastated over the ugly incident.

He explained that he was not inside the market when the incident happened and was contacted on phone that Ladipo Market was boiling and many traders had been shot and killed.

Chief Nwankwo said he boarded bike from Lagos Island to the Market but by then the whole market was already under tensed situation and the traders wanted to revolt.

He said it was a big task for him to calm the situation and talk to traders and they obeyed him and did not move further to revolt over the killing.
Nwankwo said it was after then that he summoned the Chairman of the Unit, where the incident happened, to find out what happened and he narrated what really happened.
He said it was not the first time the soldiers have invaded the market attacking traders over business transactions but stressed that this incident was the worst because it involved killing of a trader, which was not necessary over matter that can be easily resolved by the Union.

Chief Nwankwo said for now the market has been shut indefinitely to mourn the deceased and ensure that those in various hospitals recover and later the traders will decide how to relate with soldiers on business transaction in future.

On the steps taken so far to get justice for the deceased, Nwankwo said the top Army officers have contacted the leadership of the market and every efforts will be made to ensure that the deceased and those shot during the mayhem get justice.

There has been reactions from traders, who lamented their frustration having business transactions with security agents especially the soldiers in the market.
They alleged that some security agents will buy spare parts from them and after using same for some months, they will return them and demand for their money as was the case that led to the killing of late Onu. 

On the claim by the Police that there was no casualty, Chief Nwankwo restated that 28-year-old trader, Felix Onu, was shot dead while four others: Chidinma Ifeanyi, Makeup Ekwuna, Ifeanyi Enyi and Chikezie Nlewem were injured and rushed to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital including others, who sustained several injuries.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

In a landslide manner, Hon. Folorunso Ola Western has emerged victorious in the just... Continue
FUNSHO AROGUNDADE  Billionaire magnate and Chairman of FirstHoldCo, Mr. Femi Otedola has appealed to... Continue
The immediate past Executive Chairman of Agege Local Government Area, Ganiyu Kola Egunjobi, and... Continue
AFOLABI SAHEED OLAWALE Head Coach Eric Chelle has picked his Super Eagles’ squad that... Continue
The Anambra State Government said its attention has been drawn to a false and... Continue
A fresh legal battle has broken out at the Federal High Court in Lagos... Continue
           After the collapse of the Bretton Woods system in 1971, when President Richard... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA Chaos erupted on Adeola Almoruf Street, Oja Ale, Ejigbo, Lagos, following machete... Continue
BEN AHANONU   During the 2023 general election, the All Progressives Congress (APC) lost... Continue
KINGSLEY EBERE A 27-year old man, James Ugboko, is facing prosecution in a Lagos... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored