No One Is Above The Law In Land Disputes – Oyo Anti-Land Grabbing Agency Warns

Posted on February 22, 2026

 

The Oyo State Real Properties Protection Law Agency has warned residents against resorting to self-help in resolving land disputes, describing the use of force to reclaim property as criminal and punishable under the law.

 

The agency stressed that individuals who believe their land has been encroached upon must seek redress through lawful channels rather than taking matters into their own hands, noting that such actions often escalate conflicts and threaten public peace.

 

Chairman of the agency, Hon. Justice Olajumoke Aiki (Rtd.), gave the warning during a radio programme in Ibadan, where she reviewed the agency’s activities since its establishment two years ago.

 

She declared that no individual or group is above the law in the ongoing crackdown on land grabbing across the state.

According to her, the agency’s core mandate is to protect legitimate property owners, prevent violent land takeovers and, in collaboration with the Office of the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, prosecute offenders without fear or favour.

Justice Aiki said the administration of Seyi Makinde has shown unwavering political will in tackling land grabbing and related offences.

“His Excellency has never told us that some individuals are untouchable. Likewise, the Olubadan of Ibadanland, past and present, have demonstrated that anyone found culpable should face prosecution. As we speak, cases involving notorious suspected land grabbers are already before the courts. This is a clear signal that impunity will not be tolerated,” she said.

Addressing allegations of influential individuals using state machinery to intimidate landowners, the retired jurist noted that such occurrences have significantly reduced, adding that no such case has been reported in the last one year.

On the activities of hoodlums popularly known as “Omo Onile,” who harass property developers, Justice Aiki urged residents to formally report any abuse or illegal encroachment, assuring that the agency would intervene promptly and impartially.

To strengthen operations, she disclosed that the agency is considering recruiting additional investigation officers and acquiring motorcycles to improve rapid response, especially in hard-to-reach communities.

Highlighting its achievements, Justice Aiki revealed that nearly 4,000 complaint forms have been collected since inception, with close to 3,000 petitions formally submitted.

Of these, about 1,000 were resolved without litigation following thorough investigation and due diligence.

She explained that some matters were referred to Alternative Dispute Resolution mechanisms at the High Court and the Mediation Centre at the Ministry of Justice, while others were directed to the courts for adjudication.

Currently, 220 cases are being prosecuted at the High Court and Magistrate Court levels. So far, one conviction has been secured, 28 cases have been concluded, and 1,320 petitions remain under active investigation by the agency’s task force.

Justice Aiki further emphasized that all services rendered by the agency, from collection of forms to prosecution where necessary, are entirely free of charge, in line with the directive of Governor Makinde.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Terra Academy for the Arts (TAFTA) delivered a deeply moving edition of TALP X... Continue
President Bola Tinubu congratulates the winners of Saturday’s elections in the Federal Capital Territory... Continue
  The Oyo State Real Properties Protection Law Agency has warned residents against resorting... Continue
AISHA ABUBAKAR  Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have foiled bizarre... Continue
President Bola Tinubu has congratulated Dr. Leonard Stanley Nnamdi Ekeh, founder and chairman of... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA  A 24-year old man, Micheal Ogedengbe, has landed in trouble in in... Continue
ABIODUN KOMOLAFE Last week, the Ekiti State Chapter of the Afenifere Renewal Group (ARG)... Continue
KINGSLEY EBERE  A 21-year old apprentice, Chiemerie Anieke, who killed his master, Ikechukwu Nwite,... Continue
The Nigeria Union of Journalists, Osun State Council has warmly congratulated His Imperial Majesty,... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA A 35-year old man, Garuba Emmanuel, has been arrested and charged in... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored