How Vandals Are Destroying Tinubu’s ₦15 Trillion Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway

Posted on August 22, 2026
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE 
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 10 suspects and recovered vandalized materials from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s flagship ₦15 trillion Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway project following sustained attacks on critical infrastructure along the corridor.
The development was disclosed on Thursday, August 20, 2026, during a joint press briefing by the Federal Ministry of Works and the Lagos State Police Command. The Minister of Works, Engr. David Umahi, was represented by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Engr. Olufemi Dare.
Engr. Dare commended the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, CP Tijani Olaiwola Fatai, and officers of the Command, including the newly deployed Coastal Guards, for their efforts in securing the project and the Third Mainland Bridge.
According to the Ministry of Works, between January and August 2026, vandals targeted key installations along the highway.
Officials disclosed that:
– 1,800 manhole covers were stolen from the underground drainage system. Engr. Dare explained that the concrete covers were broken to extract the iron reinforcement inside. Each manhole measures about one metre by one metre.
– 1,000 metres of Clear View security fencing, equivalent to 1 kilometre, was removed from both sides of the highway. The fencing was installed to separate adjoining communities from the carriageway.
– 75 directional road signs were also taken. The signs were intended to guide motorists, including visitors unfamiliar with Lagos roads.
“The activities of the vandals became so brazen that some allegedly dug a deep underground tunnel which they used as a warehouse for stolen materials removed from the construction corridor,” Engr. Dare said.
He added that investigations showed the suspects were selling the vandalized items as scraps to metal dealers.
To curb further damage and misuse of the corridor, Engr. Dare announced new restrictions along the highway.
“Effective immediately, indiscriminate truck parking along the Coastal Highway corridor is banned. Tricycle operation is also not permitted on the highway,” he said.
He explained that the measures are to protect the road furniture, ensure safety for motorists, and prevent the highway from being converted to motor parks and unauthorized commercial routes.
The Federal Government said it has intensified efforts to protect the ₦15 trillion project, which is planned to stretch approximately 700 kilometres through nine coastal states.
According to Engr. Dare, the efforts include:
1.  Deployment of Coastal Guards: A special security unit has been launched to patrol the construction corridor 24/7 alongside the Nigeria Police.
2.  Increased Surveillance: CCTV monitoring and joint patrols with other security agencies have been increased around critical points of the highway.
3.  Community Engagement: The Ministry said it is working with traditional rulers and community leaders along the 9 coastal states to sensitize residents against vandalism and to report suspicious activities.
4.  Legal Action: The Honourable Minister has “declared war on vandalism.” Engr. Dare said prosecution of arrested suspects will be expedited to serve as deterrent.
“The Honourable Minister commended the CP and his men for the successes recorded so far. Protecting this project is protecting jobs, trade, and the future of our coastal economy,” Engr. Dare stated.
The Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway is estimated to cost about ₦15 trillion ($11 billion). When completed, it is expected to boost trade, tourism, and connectivity across Nigeria’s coastal belt and is described as one of Africa’s most ambitious road infrastructure projects.
CP Fatai confirmed that 10 suspects have been arrested in connection with the attacks. They were identified as: Courage Ogbemudiah, 19; Michael James, 25; Muhammed Mustapha, 25; Muyideen Ola, 32; Emmanuel James, 18; Tadious Nanius, 28; Anthony Nucase, 23; Makinde Muize, 30; Bolaji Raji, 30; and Waliu Kabiru, 28.
“Preliminary investigations have linked the suspects to repeated attacks on infrastructure along the highway. Statements have been obtained and investigation is ongoing,” the CP said.
He added that the Command is working closely with relevant authorities to ensure those responsible for the destruction and theft of public infrastructure are brought to justice.
Engr. Dare noted that attacks on drainage and safety installations not only damage the road but also pose risks to motorists and residents along the corridor.
The Police boss said that the suspects will be charged before Court after the conclusion of investigation by the Police.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

The Orashi National Congress, ONC, a notable Niger Delta socio-cultural group, has paid a... Continue
UGOCHUKWU UGWUANYI Although almost indigenous to development studies, sustainability initiatives, donor projects, and programme... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA The All Progressives Congress, APC, has announced its Presidential Campaign Council for... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA Police operatives in Lagos State have detained the father of a young... Continue
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE  Ahmadu Bello University, ABU Zaria, is set to host the 15th stop... Continue
CHUKA UBAH   Distinguished sons and daughters of Igbonine gathered in Enugu from August 14... Continue
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE  The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 10 suspects and recovered vandalized... Continue
  The National President of the Southern Youth Foundation of Nigeria, SYF, Ambassador Comrade... Continue
Nigerian football fans were among the biggest participants in SuperSport’s digital FIFA World Cup... Continue
The Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored