Luis Suarez Quits Barcelona For Atletico Madrid

Posted on September 24, 2020

Atletico Madrid announced the signing of Barcelona forward Luis Suarez late on Wednesday, confirming the Uruguayan striker is set to continue playing in La Liga rather than joining Juventus in Italy.

Barcelona said that Atletico had agreed to pay six million euros for Suarez, who left his last training session in tears on Wednesday having been told over the summer that he was no longer required by new coach Ronald Koeman.

Since joining Barca from Liverpool in 2014, Suarez has won a host of trophies, including the 2015 Champions League and four Liga titles.

He leaves as the club’s third-highest scorer with 198 goals behind Cesar Rodriguez (232) and Lionel Messi (634).

The move to Barcelona’s La Liga rivals follows a failed attempt to join Juventus.

Juve coach Andrea Pirlo disclosed last week a deal was unlikely because of delays in the Uruguayan’s bid to get an Italian passport.

On Tuesday, prosecutors in Perugia said they suspected Suarez of cheating to pass his Italian language test with the aid of examiners suspected of helping him.

The exit of the 33-year-old from Camp Nou comes as Koeman attempts to reshape Barcelona.

As well as Suarez, the Dutchman has shown the exit to Arturo Vidal and Ivan Rakitic, while French defender Samuel Umtiti is also set to leave.

Spanish television channel Gol showed Suarez wiping away tears with his sleeve as he drove off after saying his last goodbyes to teammates at Barcelona’s Sant Joan Despi training centre.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

In her effort to make sure that all roads construction meets the standard of... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA    The Ogun State Police Command has intensified security measures at the... Continue
KINGSLEY EBERE  A 35-year old lady, Kanife Chidera, has been arrested and charged in... Continue
TEMITOPE AJAYI  On the back of the reforms by President Tinubu, our country is... Continue
The Lagos State Government has issued a stern warning to commercial bus operators, particularly... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA  A 32-year old man, Omohowo Israel, has landed in trouble in Lagos... Continue
World Football Summit (WFS), in partnership with UM6P and Evosport, and with OCP Group... Continue
The Nigeria Police Force is set to host the maiden edition of National Police... Continue
KINGSLEY EBERE  A 35-year old Forex broker, Adebayo Ayodele, has been arrested and charged... Continue
Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK) marked a historic milestone last Friday with the official unveiling... Continue

UBA

DANGOTE AD

GLO


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored