Luis Suarez Quits Barcelona For Atletico Madrid

Posted on September 24, 2020

Atletico Madrid announced the signing of Barcelona forward Luis Suarez late on Wednesday, confirming the Uruguayan striker is set to continue playing in La Liga rather than joining Juventus in Italy.

Barcelona said that Atletico had agreed to pay six million euros for Suarez, who left his last training session in tears on Wednesday having been told over the summer that he was no longer required by new coach Ronald Koeman.

Since joining Barca from Liverpool in 2014, Suarez has won a host of trophies, including the 2015 Champions League and four Liga titles.

He leaves as the club’s third-highest scorer with 198 goals behind Cesar Rodriguez (232) and Lionel Messi (634).

The move to Barcelona’s La Liga rivals follows a failed attempt to join Juventus.

Juve coach Andrea Pirlo disclosed last week a deal was unlikely because of delays in the Uruguayan’s bid to get an Italian passport.

On Tuesday, prosecutors in Perugia said they suspected Suarez of cheating to pass his Italian language test with the aid of examiners suspected of helping him.

The exit of the 33-year-old from Camp Nou comes as Koeman attempts to reshape Barcelona.

As well as Suarez, the Dutchman has shown the exit to Arturo Vidal and Ivan Rakitic, while French defender Samuel Umtiti is also set to leave.

Spanish television channel Gol showed Suarez wiping away tears with his sleeve as he drove off after saying his last goodbyes to teammates at Barcelona’s Sant Joan Despi training centre.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

IFEANYI OKOLIE Four years after a notorious bank robbery kingpin, Clement Abanara, alias Millions,... Continue
Text of the Address by His Excellency, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, CON, Governor, Ekiti State,... Continue
Nigeria’s power sector has recorded its highest national peak of 5,459.50MW, the Transmission Company... Continue
A new motoring experience is on the way on the Eti-Osa-Lekki-Epe Expressway with the... Continue
ONWURAH CHINONSO ANTHONY Dr. Godwin Maduka has commiserated with the family of late Chief... Continue
AISHA ABUBAKAR A 67-year old man, Abraham Olayinka, has been rescued alive after he... Continue
Anambra State governor, Chief Willie Obiano on Friday received a Special Military Squad deployed... Continue
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE The 11-year old boy, Gift Osayuhi, who was arrested over his alleged... Continue
The Governor of the State of Osun, Adegboyega Oyetola, has announced the immediate implementation... Continue
The Police Service Commission said its attention has been drawn to a publication in... Continue

Twitter