Why Buhari Didn’t Mention Lekki Shooting In His Address

Posted on October 24, 2020

Mr. Sunday Dare, the minister of youth and sports, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari will speak to the public on the Lekki shooting when he has all the facts.

Speaking on Arise Television on Friday, Dare said Buhari has ordered an investigation into the shooting incident.

“For sure, the president has ordered an investigation. He had a national security meeting yesterday (Thursday). I can tell you that this is already ongoing because the president wants to have all the facts which will absolutely be made public,” the minister said.

On Tuesday, security operatives allegedly opened fire on unarmed protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate area of the state with many injured and some feared dead.

The incident caused an uproar, within and outside the country.

During his address to the nation on the #EndSARS protests on Thursday, President Buhari did not make any comment about the alleged shooting of protesters in Lekki, Lagos.

“It is important to get all the facts right before we go forward, in this case. It’s going to be difficult to hide these facts because we live in a multimedia world and we have pieces of evidence and corroboration and I think it is important to get the facts right,” Dare told Arise News.

“I think that’s the part the President has towed and I am sure that when the facts are made available, this President –because he has integrity– will level with the Nigerian people about what happened on Tuesday in Lekki.

“Previously, we just had lip service that SARS scrapped. For the first time, you have a presidential pronouncement that SARS has been dissolved followed by the Inspector-General and then we saw quick steps thereafter.

“And I think when you look at what has happened in the past and the level of responsiveness and concrete steps, the whole five demands of the youth were wholeheartedly accepted by the president and he set up a process.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

President Bola Tinubu has congratulated Dr. Leonard Stanley Nnamdi Ekeh, founder and chairman of... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA  A 24-year old man, Micheal Ogedengbe, has landed in trouble in in... Continue
ABIODUN KOMOLAFE Last week, the Ekiti State Chapter of the Afenifere Renewal Group (ARG)... Continue
KINGSLEY EBERE  A 21-year old apprentice, Chiemerie Anieke, who killed his master, Ikechukwu Nwite,... Continue
The Nigeria Union of Journalists, Osun State Council has warmly congratulated His Imperial Majesty,... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA A 35-year old man, Garuba Emmanuel, has been arrested and charged in... Continue
‎The Rivers State Deputy Governor, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, has commiserated with the family... Continue
KINGSLEY EBERE  Hon. Engr. Ganiyu Abiodun Johnson, a former House of Representatives member for... Continue
DANIEL OLUWATOBILOBA POPOOLA  Senior Comrade Lasisi Ayinde Akinsanya, Executive Chairman of Igando-Ikotun Local Council... Continue
The All Progressives Congress Ward Congress in Oluyole Local Government area, Oyo State, was... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored