Why Shanties At Makoko, Others Have To Go —Lagos Govt

Posted on January 27, 2026
The Lagos State Government has described its recent demolitions in Makoko and other communities as efforts geared towards protecting the lives and property of the citizens.

The government said the intervention was also to ensure environmental safety and sustainable urban development across the state.

This is contained in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, after an engagement designed to foster dialogue between the government and residents on Sunday in Lagos.

Omotosho described the demolitions in the affected settlements as necessary interventions aimed at preventing disasters, improving safety, and repositioning Lagos as a resilient and sustainable megacity for future generations.

Responding to criticisms describing the exercise as anti-poor, Omotoso said: “The actions were driven by safety, environmental protection and security concerns, particularly structures erected beneath high-tension power lines and along critical waterways.”

According to him, no responsible government will permit habitation under power cables or obstruction of waterways.

“The measures were preventive, not punitive, and intended to avert disasters and safeguard the long-term future of Lagos.”

Omotoso disclosed that the affected communities had been engaged for over five years, noting that laws require buildings to be at least 250 metres away from power lines.

He maintained that fallen cables into waterways could cause catastrophic disasters.

Contributing, the Special Adviser to the Governor on e-GIS and Urban Development, Mr. Olajide Babatunde, explained that the demolitions followed safety assessments and longstanding urban planning regulations.

According to him, the demolitions align with a broader urban regeneration blueprint.

He listed successful relocation such as Oko Baba, where residents were moved to modern estates, and urged adherence to planning regulations to avoid future conflicts.

 

(NAN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Asharami Synergy, a Sahara Group downstream company, showcased Africa’s evolving aviation fuelling leadership at... Continue
Arsenal have secured a first Premier League title in 22 years. Mikel Arteta’s side’s... Continue
Justice Ambrose-Lewis Allagoa of the Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday adjourned to... Continue
It was a carnival like in Badagry on Tuesday, where a mammoth crowd gathered... Continue
As the deadline of May 20, 2026, fast approaches, Wema Bank has announced the... Continue
Justice Mojisola Dada of the Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, on Tuesday... Continue
ILESANMI OLUKEMI MOTUNRAYO The National Commissioner/CEO of the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC), Dr... Continue
Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu has charged Nigerian Children to always aim high,... Continue
  The Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of United Bank for Africa (UBA), Oliver... Continue
In a decisive move aimed at alleviating the economic burdens of retired public servants,... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored