At Last Detained Journalist, Ezenekwe Regains Freedom

Posted on July 16, 2022

IZUNNA OKAFOR

Barely 10 days after his detention at a Maitama Police cell in Abuja, Anambra-born journalist and media practitioner, Mr. Ikenna Ezenekwe, has finally regained his freedom.
Mr. Ezenekwe, who announced his release from Police custody in a telephone interview on Friday, also noted that he was released few hours ago.
According to him, he was freed after investigation, while all charges against him have also been dropped.
Mr. Ezenekwe, who is the the Editor of the online newspaper 247UREPORTS (www.ureports.com), was arrested on July 5 (last week Tuesday) in Abuja by the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) monitoring team, acting on the instruction of the former Chief of Staff to ex-governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State, Mr. Primus Odili, who petitioned the Police to arrest him, on the claim that he published a libelous article on him.
He was, however, detained for many days without trial, contrary to the constitutional stipulation that nobody should be held for more than 24 hours without being charged to Court. His continued detention was also as a result of his refusal to name the source of the article, as was demanded by the Police on the instruction of Mr. Odili, which he (Ezenekwe) declined to identify, citing confidentiality and privilege between journalists and news sources.
These attracted reactions and calls from relevant unions and rights groups, including the Civil Liberty Organization (CLO), the Online Publishers Association of Nigeria (OPAN) and others, who faulted same as unlawful and unwarranted, and also repeatedly called for his immediate release.
Mr. Ezenekwe was, however, finally released on Friday after some investigations.
Speaking on his freedom, he appreciated the various groups, unions and individuals, who stood by and showed him solidarity all the while he was in detention, assuring them of his esteem regards.
“I am on my way home. I thank you all for your solidarity. Thank God for my freedom. I’ll get back to you,” he said in a telephone interview.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

FUNSHO AROGUNDADE  Billionaire magnate and Chairman of FirstHoldCo, Mr. Femi Otedola has appealed to... Continue
The immediate past Executive Chairman of Agege Local Government Area, Ganiyu Kola Egunjobi, and... Continue
AFOLABI SAHEED OLAWALE Head Coach Eric Chelle has picked his Super Eagles’ squad that... Continue
The Anambra State Government said its attention has been drawn to a false and... Continue
A fresh legal battle has broken out at the Federal High Court in Lagos... Continue
           After the collapse of the Bretton Woods system in 1971, when President Richard... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA Chaos erupted on Adeola Almoruf Street, Oja Ale, Ejigbo, Lagos, following machete... Continue
BEN AHANONU   During the 2023 general election, the All Progressives Congress (APC) lost... Continue
KINGSLEY EBERE A 27-year old man, James Ugboko, is facing prosecution in a Lagos... Continue
Preparations are in top gear for the grand finale of Miss Tourism Nigeria 2026,... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored