Court Throws Out Ajudua’s Fresh Bail Bid in $1.043m Fraud Case

Posted on November 21, 2025

Justice Mojisola Dada of the Special Offences Court, Ikeja, has dismissed a fresh bail application filed by socialite and alleged fraudster, Fred Ajudua, who is standing trial for defrauding Palestinian businessman, Zad Abu Zalaf, of $1.043 million.

Delivering her ruling on Thursday, November 20, 2025, Justice Dada held that the application contained no new or compelling facts to warrant a reconsideration of bail. She described the request as “not meritorious” and struck it out.

The judge noted that the two medical reports tendered from the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) did not indicate that the hospital lacked the capacity to manage Ajudua’s health condition.

She said, “There is nothing alarming in the application that will warrant a change in the circumstance of the defendant… The application is unmeritorious and is hereby struck out.”

Following the ruling, defence counsel, Olalekan Ojo (SAN), drew the court’s attention to a pending application dated November 17, 2025, challenging the competence of the third prosecution witness (PW3) to continue his testimony. He noted that although the prosecution had been served with the motion, no response had yet been filed.

“It is expedient, my Lord, that this motion be heard and determined before continuation of trial. Nevertheless, your Lordship’s decision is final,” Ojo said.

Prosecuting counsel, Seidu Atteh, confirmed receipt of the application and sought time to reply on points of law.

Thursday’s development comes on the heels of a recent Supreme Court decision striking out Ajudua’s motion challenging its earlier judgment in the same fraud case. Before the apex court’s ruling, the defendant had already filed a notice of withdrawal of the application at the lower court.

With the Supreme Court clearing the coast, the long-running trial resumed on October 31, 2025, before Justice Dada.

The case, which began in 2005 before Justice M.O. Obadina, has been repeatedly stalled by a series of applications and legal maneuvers linked to the defendant. It was later reassigned to Justice J.E. Oyefeso before Ajudua was re-arraigned on June 4, 2018, before Justice Dada.

Justice Dada thereafter ordered the defence to proceed with the cross-examination of PW3, Afanda Bashir Emmanuel.

The matter was adjourned to November 28, 2025, for hearing of the pending application and continuation of trial.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

OLALEKAN ONI  The recent hurried commissioning of road projects by the administration of Governor... Continue
In a move signaling a major push for inter-agency cooperation within Nigeria’s aviation sector,... Continue
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has called on voters, security agencies, and officials of the... Continue
The Oyo State Government has signed a key Agreement aimed at strengthening its climate... Continue
The UNICEF has announced that the number of children whose births are officially registered... Continue
BY Dr. ADEDAPO ADEJUMO Nigeria’s health system stands at a decisive moment. Across the... Continue
The immediate past governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, is scheduled to be... Continue
In a bid to foster accurate public discourse as well as protect the stability... Continue
The Beer Sectoral Group (BSG), a member of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, in... Continue
Nigerian cinema is poised for a defining cultural moment as Eleko (Oba Esugbayi), the... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored