Dasuki, Sowore Now Free To Go Home, Says Nigerian Govt

Posted on December 24, 2019

 

The Nigerian Government in what it described as the need to uphold the rule of law  and regard to court judgements has ordered the release of the detained Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd.) and Omoyele Sowore on Tuesday.

The order for the release of the duo contained in a statement by the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami (SAN), who said that there is urgent need for the government to respect court orders on Dasuki and Sowore, while the government pursue its right to appeal the judgements of the courts that ordered their release.

P.M. EXPRESS reports that Dasuki had been in DSS’ custody since December 2015 despite several court judgements that ordered his freedom and Sowore who was re-arrested on 6 December, barely 24 hours after he was released from custody that lasted over four months.

Malami on behalf of the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria said in his statement that: “The Office of the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation has reviewed the pending criminal charges against the duo of Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd.) and Omoyele Sowore.

“Whilst the Federal High Court has exercised its discretion in granting bail to the defendants in respect of the charges against them, I am also not unmindful of the right of the Complainant/Prosecution to appeal or further challenge the grant of bail by the court, having regard to extant legal provisions, particularly Section 169 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015.

“However, my office has chosen to comply with the court orders while considering the pursuit of its rights of appeal and/or review of the order relating to the bail as granted or varied by the courts.

“In line with the provisions of Section 150(1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), and in compliance with the bail granted to Col. Sambo Dasuki (Rtd) (as recently varied by the Court of Appeal); and the bail granted to Omoyele Sowore, I have directed the State Security Services to comply with the order granting bail to the defendants and effect their release.

“The two defendants are enjoined to observe the terms of their bail and refrain from engaging in any act that is inimical to public peace and national security, as well as their ongoing trial which will run its course in accordance with the laws of the land.

“I wish to reiterate again the utmost regard of my office for the entire judicial structure of Nigeria.

“This administration remains unrelenting in deepening the rule of law and the administration of justice in general.”

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

CHRISTIAN ABURIME In the ₦757.9 billion “Changing Gears 3.0” budget presented by Anambra State... Continue
Respected Niger Delta socio-cultural group, the Orashi National Congress, ONC, on Friday, 28th November,... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA  A 39-year old man, Samson Kehinde Gbemi, has landed in trouble for... Continue
BABAFEMI OJUDU  There are broadcasters—and then there is Edmund Obilo. He is as compelling... Continue
UCHE NWORAH Ph.D Presidential handlers recently released photos of Mr. President in a closed-door... Continue
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE    Personnel of the Zone 2 Command Headquarters, under the leadership of... Continue
The Anambra State Governor, Prof Chukwuma Charles Soludo, CFR, has paid a courtesy visit... Continue
The 1st West Africa “Zone A & B” Para Games begins on Friday in... Continue
Nigeria U15 international, Raheem Moyinoluwa Salaudeen, will feature in a highly anticipated U16 showcase... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored