Lagos To Property Owners: Demolish Defective Structures Or Risk Forfeiture

Posted on March 19, 2019

The Lagos State Government has advised owners of structures marked for demolition to rebuild them forthwith or risk forfeiture of their houses.

The State Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Prince Rotimi Ogunleye, while commiserating with families of victims of the collapsed building at Ita Faji Street on Lagos Island, called for the cooperation of members of the public in reporting locations of distressed structures to the State authorities.

Ogunleye pointed out that the Ministry had identified 149 distressed and defective buildings in different parts of the State, demolishing 40 in the first phase while 38 others were slated for the second phase prior to last week’s unfortunate incident.

According to him, “In some instances where the owners and occupiers have been duly served with statutory notices and evacuated, people secretly return to re-occupy the buildings despite the sealing of the structures by the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA)”.

The Commissioner said LASBCA would step up the ongoing removal of the affected buildings until it covers all parts of the State, warning that Section 74 of the Urban and Regional Planning and Development Law on forfeiture would be invoked against any owner or developer whose negligence leads to building collapse.

He said the State government will soon unveil a holistic programme to address the various challenges posed by defective and illegal developments as well as the operation of unapproved schools within Lagos.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

As the D-day for the Asaba 10km International Road Race draws closer, the organisers... Continue
CHRISTIAN ABURIME In the ₦757.9 billion “Changing Gears 3.0” budget presented by Anambra State... Continue
Respected Niger Delta socio-cultural group, the Orashi National Congress, ONC, on Friday, 28th November,... Continue
MICHAEL AKINOLA  A 39-year old man, Samson Kehinde Gbemi, has landed in trouble for... Continue
BABAFEMI OJUDU  There are broadcasters—and then there is Edmund Obilo. He is as compelling... Continue
UCHE NWORAH Ph.D Presidential handlers recently released photos of Mr. President in a closed-door... Continue
CYRIACUS IZUEKWE    Personnel of the Zone 2 Command Headquarters, under the leadership of... Continue
The Anambra State Governor, Prof Chukwuma Charles Soludo, CFR, has paid a courtesy visit... Continue
The 1st West Africa “Zone A & B” Para Games begins on Friday in... Continue
Nigeria U15 international, Raheem Moyinoluwa Salaudeen, will feature in a highly anticipated U16 showcase... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored