President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Tuesday received briefings from the Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Olanipekun Olukoyede, and the Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Arc. Muttaqha Rabe Darma, at the State House, Abuja.

According to a statement released by the State House, the meeting focused on the management and disposal of houses seized nationwide by the anti-graft agency.

The statement said: “Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Olanipekun Ola Olukoyede, and Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Muttaqha Rabe Darma, met with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the management and disposal of seized houses nationwide, under the rules of transparency and Accountability at the State House, Abuja. Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

“The discussions centered on how properties forfeited to the federal government through EFCC investigations and court orders should be handled and disposed of. The President emphasized that the process must adhere to transparency, due process and accountability, in line with government policy on asset recovery and public housing.

The Ministry of Housing and Urban Development is expected to play a role in determining appropriate use for some of the properties, including possible integration into national housing programmes.

Tuesday’s engagement is the first public meeting between President Tinubu and the EFCC chairman since the President intervened earlier this month in a case involving Osun State.

On August 5, 2026, the EFCC obtained a court order freezing Osun State Government accounts as part of an investigation into alleged fraudulent handling of ecology funds, intervention funds and Federation Account Allocation Committee allocations totaling about N11 billion.

The Osun State Government challenged the freeze in court the same day, seeking to nullify the order and claiming N2 billion in exemplary damages.

It also accused the commission of an ongoing “witch-hunt” since March.

Two days later, President Tinubu personally directed the EFCC to return to court and vacate the freeze order.

In a statement, he said he was “deeply embarrassed not by the EFCC’s exercise of its mandate backed by a court order, but by the timing of the agency’s action,” which came 10 days before the August 15 governorship election.

The President noted he had avoided interfering in the commission’s operations in the past, but could not allow any federal institution to create the impression that it was being used to influence an election outcome.

Governor Ademola Adeleke won re-election on August 15.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics after the result, Adeleke said he had instructed the state Attorney General to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.

“I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.

The Presidency said further details on the framework for disposing of seized properties will be communicated by the EFCC and the Ministry of Housing in due course.