Val Ozigbo Condemns Violence, Clamours For Peace In Nigeria

Posted on October 30, 2020

CHIBUIKE AGBANU

Valentine Ozigbo, a Nigerian business mogul and philanthropist, has issued a statement calling for calm and peace in the nation following the spread of post #EndSARS violence and called on the authorities to take “only lawful measures” to restore law and order to parts of the country rocked by youth restiveness.

In a statement signed by his media aide, Ephraim Adiele and made available to journalists, Mr. Ozigbo regretted the Lekki Toll shooting of October 20, 2020 and said that the incident appeared to be the catalyst for the wave of violence which followed.

While noting that the #EndSARS protesters, who gathered at the Lekki Toll Gate had been peaceful for close to two weeks, the respected business leader, regretted that hoodlums have taken over the narrative of the protest which was aimed at ending police brutality in the country.

Since last Tuesday, when security forces reportedly opened fire on peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate, there have been widespread reports of varying levels of violence in several parts of the country.

Restive youths in Anambra State, his home state, had attacked Police facilities in parts of the state with reports saying one police officer and some citizens were killed.

“It’s a dark hour for Nigeria following the October 20 clampdown on innocent unarmed peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Gate last night,” Mr Ozigbo, who is the immediate past President and Group CEO of Transcorp Plc, said in the statement.

“I call on the authorities, at the Federal and State levels, to take only lawful measures to restore law and order to the states witnessing youth unrest. It is important that all actions are done within the law and no more lives are lost” he said.

He also called for leaders to take responsible action to bring calm to the nation as he also condemned the killing of young people.

“This is a time for responsible and responsive leadership. Let’s rise to the occasion. Nigeria is our country, and we cannot continue to murder the custodians of our bright future,” he declared.

Mr. Ozigbo, who is the founder of Valentine Chineto Ozigbo (VCO) Foundation, also extended his sympathies to those who lost their lives in the violence and bemoaned the destruction of properties.

“My heart goes out to those who have been injured as a result of the violence, I wish you quick recovery and the best of health, you are the heroes we see,” he said further.

“To the fallen, I salute your courage and pray that the Almighty grants your souls eternal rest. You have paid the ultimate price for our collective freedom and that sacrifice will not be in vain,” Ozigbo declared.

Ozigbo is a leading aspirant in the upcoming Anambra 2021 governorship elections. He is a member of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

ERNIE ONWUMERE  As we celebrate this Master Legislator whose birthday falls on 16 August,... Continue
  The Chief Executive Officer of renowned Buruj Football Club and Sports Academy, Dr.... Continue
Kamsy has become the third housemate to leave the Big Brother Naija Season 11... Continue
Former Governor of Abia State and Senator representing Abia North Senatorial District, Senator Orji... Continue
Oju Eko Initiatives is set to kick off its Community Walk, Fitness and Wellbeing... Continue
Young football talent, Iyida Jacob Obiora, is celebrating his 15th birthday today with a... Continue
The National Coordinator of a support group of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Comrade... Continue
KINGSLEY EBERE  The ancient Umuchu town in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State... Continue
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu said the re-election of Governor Ademola Adeleke in the just-concluded... Continue
CAJETAN DUKE In continuation of his engagements with communities across Owerri Zone, yesterday Saturday,... Continue

UBA


Access Bank

Twitter

Sponsored