Our National President Never Said North Will Go To War Over #EndSARS Protests – AYCF
The Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, AYCF, said its attention has been drawn to a news by an online platform, in which their National President was purportedly threatening war against the #EndSARS protests.
In a release made available to P.M.EXPRESS, the AYCF said, “The online newspapers’ sensational and fictitious news stories said our National President has declared that “North will go to war if Southerners remove Buhari”. This is a concoction of the publishers’ riotous imagination”.
“We therefore state as follows:-
1. Our National President – Alhaji Yerima Shettima has never ever been associated with combative or violent protest to opposing views, for whatever reason
2. Our National President has always been a Democrat, following legitimate constitutional processes in his agitations and it is for this reason he has built a record of fearless activism but free of violence.
3. Much as any other Civil Society group is free to choose the combative or violent mode of protest, we at the AYCF do not and will never resort to such abhorrent method. The AYFC is a platform of matured citizens who strongly believe in deepening Nigeria’s democracy.
4. The false claim of war being attributed to our National President was indeed malicious and we will not take it lying low.
5. Just like our National President, we are unapologetic in the promotion of democracy through legal and legitimate means, in line with the nation’s Constitution, which supports presentation of grievances with respect to the Rule of Law.
6. We remain a Northern support group of matured minds, who cannot be intimidated or stampeded into compromising the North’s and its peoples’ principles or interests” Barr Abubakar Liman, Legal Adviser, AYCF, concluded.